Last Updated: January 1, 2015
The Information That We Collect
Quaere, Inc. gathers “Personally Identifiable Information” (or “PII”), “Site Usage Data,” and “IP Addresses” through the Site. Personally Identifiable Information is information that identifies a person as an individual, such as your name, company, and title, postal address, telephone number, or email address. Site Usage Data is aggregated information, demographic information, and any other information that does not reveal a person’s specific identity. An IP Address is the Internet Protocol address of the computer that you are using.
1. Personally Identifiable Information. You do not have to provide us with your PII to use this Site. However, certain services to which you may subscribe through this Site (e.g., our “investigative updates” email messages, and event announcements section) may require you to provide PII. We collect PII from you only when you voluntarily provide it to us.
3. IP Addresses. When you visit and interact with the Site, Quaere, Inc. and third parties with whom Quaere, Inc. has contracted to provide services to Quaere, Inc. may collect Internet Protocol (“IP”) addresses. Your IP address is a number that is automatically assigned to the computer that you are using by your Internet Service Provider. This number is identified and logged automatically whenever you visit the Site, along with the time(s) of your visit(s) and the page(s) that you visited.
How We Use the Information We Collect
- Personally Identifiable Information. Quaere, Inc. may use PII in the following ways:
- a. Fulfillment of Requests. We process PII to comply with your requests, respond to your inquiries, and send you newsletters or publications that you request. If you contact us by email through the Site, we may keep a record of your contact information and correspondence, and use it to respond to you. We will further use PII to fulfill any other purposes for which it was provided, and as disclosed at the time the data are collected.
- b. Administrative Communications. We may send you important administrative or transactional information regarding the Site. Because this information may be important to you, you may not “opt out” of receiving these communications.
- c. Other Communications. We may use PII about you to send you our investigative updates and mailings relating to Quaere, Inc. seminars or events that we think may be of interest to you, in accordance with applicable law. If you decide at any time that you no longer wish to receive mailings from us, please refer to the paragraph below, headed “Opting Out.” Please note that some of these mailings may be provided by our affiliates, such as our affiliates in Arizona and Colorado. If you are a Californian user of the Site, and would like more information regarding our provision of your PII to these other legal entities of Quaere, Inc. please refer to the paragraph below headed “Special Notification for Our California Users.”
- d. Internal Business Purposes. We may also use PII about you for our internal business purposes, such as data analysis, audits, and other similar purposes.
- e. Services. In addition to the purposes mentioned above, we may use PII for the purposes of providing investigative and related services, including the provision of seminars and other events (“Services”).
- Site Usage Data. Because Site Usage Data does not personally identify you, we may use such information for any purpose. In addition, we reserve the right to share such Site Usage Data, which does not personally identify you, with third parties, for any purpose. As an example, we may use aggregated Site Usage Data to help us improve our Site and the services that we provide through our Site. Please note that to the extent any Site Usage Data is linked with PII, such linked information will be treated as PII as long as it is linked.
How Is Personally Identifiable Information Disclosed?
- Disclosures to Affiliates. As mentioned above, we may share PII provided to us with our affiliates, consistent with our goal of providing the highest level of service. Subject to local requirements, this information may be used to provide Services offered by our other entities and for all the purposes outlined in this policy. Quaere, Inc. remains responsible for jointly used PII.
- Emails to Friends. Subject to local requirements, we may provide functionality to permit you to send messages regarding Site-related content to a friend through the Site. If you wish to use this feature, you may be required to provide us with, and we may use, your friend’s email address so that we can facilitate your sending of such message to your friend. Please note that any PII you provide in connection with sending messages regarding Site related content to a friend through the Site, such as your name and your email address, will, of course, be disclosed to your friend.
- Third-Party Service Providers. We may provide PII about you to our contractors, agents, and designees to the extent necessary to enable them to perform certain Site related services (e.g., providing web hosting, improving Site related services and features, or providing maintenance services) on our behalf.
- Business Transfers. Quaere, Inc. may transfer any and all PII to third parties (whether affiliated or unaffiliated with Quaere, Inc.), in the event of a sale or transfer of assets or other disposition of all or any portion of our business.
- Law Enforcement; Compliance. We also may use and/or disclose PII to any third party if we believe that we are required to do so for any or all of the following reasons: (i) by law; (ii) to comply with legal process or respond to requests from governmental or public authorities; (iii) to prevent, investigate, detect, or prosecute criminal offenses or attacks on the technical integrity of the Site or our network; (iv) to enforce our Terms and Conditions Agreement; and/or (v) to protect the rights, privacy, property, business, or safety of Quaere, Inc. and its affiliates, their partners and employees, the users of the Site, or the public.
By using the Site, you acknowledge and consent to the fact that PII provided by you or collected by us through your use of the Site may be stored and processed by us in the United States, which may provide a different level of data protection than that provided by your country of residence. You also acknowledge and consent to the fact that we may, at our discretion, store and process such data in other countries and will endeavor to protect the PII under our control wherever it is processed or stored.
Information Collected by Third Parties
- Special Notification About Webinars. Webinars offered as a service to users of our Site are hosted by an unaffiliated third party vendor, and not by Quaere, Inc. Our third party vendor requires users to provide PII, such as name, company, and email address. Users seeking continuing legal education credit also may be asked to provide their State Bar number(s). Please note that this PII is collected by our vendor, and not by Quaere, Inc. We encourage you to read the privacy statements of our vendor, which control how such vendor handles PII provided by you to register for the Webinars. Additionally, our third party vendor provides us with PII about users of our Webinars. We use this information to track attendance, facilitate future communication with such users, and for other purposes set forth in this Policy.
- Opting Out. We may from time to time send you investigative updates and mailings relating to Quaere, Inc. seminars or events that we think may be of interest to you. If you would prefer not to receive marketing mailings from us, you may unsubscribe from these marketing mailings by following the unsubscribe instructions in any such message or by contacting us by email at email@example.com.
- Reviewing, Changing, or Suppressing PII. To the extent permitted by the laws of your country, you may request to review, correct, update, suppress, or otherwise modify any PII that you have previously provided through the Site, or object to the use of such PII by Quaere, Inc. You may exercise these rights by logging on to your subscriptions account on our Site www.quaereinc.com/solutions/knowledgecenter or by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Special Notification for Individual California Users. As noted above, we may disclose PII to affiliates of Quaere, Inc. which may use this information for all purposes outlined in this policy. Because separate legal entities are considered “third parties” for purposes of California Civil Code Section 1798.83, and certain communications from our affiliates might be viewed as promoting their services, we are providing the following information for California residents who have provided us with PII about themselves during the creation of or during the course of an established service relationship that is primarily for personal, family, or household purposes (“Individual California Users”). Individual California Users may request information about our disclosures of certain categories of PII to third parties (i.e., other entities of Quaere, Inc.) for such third parties’ direct marketing purposes. Such requests must be submitted to us either by email at email@example.com or by mail at the following address:
16835 Algonquin Street, Suite 380
Huntington Beach, California 92649
Within thirty (30) days of receiving such a request, we will provide a list of the categories of PII disclosed to third parties (i.e., other entities of Quaere, Inc.) for their direct marketing purposes during the immediately preceding calendar year, along with the names and addresses of these third parties. This request may be made no more than once per calendar year. We reserve our right not to respond to requests submitted other than to the email or mailing addresses specified in this section.
Additionally, you may also oppose the processing or transferring of personal data to the extent the laws of your country require if you have a legitimate reason to do so.
For your protection, we will only implement requests with respect to the PII associated with the particular email address that you use to send us your request, and we may need to verify your identity before implementing your request. We will endeavor to comply with your request as soon as reasonably practicable. Please note that we may need to retain certain information for recordkeeping purposes, and there may also be residual information that will remain within our databases and other records, which will not be removed therefrom. We may, from time to time, re-contact former users of the Site. Finally, we are not responsible for removing information from the databases of third parties (such as service providers) with whom we have shared PII about you.
- Security. Quaere, Inc. seeks to adopt commercially reasonable security measures consistent with legal industry practice to assist in protecting against the loss, misuse, and alteration of PII that is under our control. Unfortunately, no data storage system, or system of transmitting data over the Internet, can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, we cannot guarantee the security of our or our affiliates servers, the means by which PII is transmitted between your computer and our or our affiliates servers, or any PII provided to us or to any third party through or in connection with the Site. If you believe your connection to our site is no longer secure, please notify us as soon as possible.
- Use of the Site by Children. The Site is not directed to children under the age of thirteen (13), and Quaere, Inc. does not knowingly collect PII from children. If you are younger than thirteen (13) years old, please do not provide any PII while using the Site.
- Retention Period. We will retain PII about you for the period necessary to fulfill the purposes outlined in this Policy unless a longer retention period is required by law and/or regulations.
- Jurisdictional Issues. Quaere, Inc. does not represent or warrant that the Site, or any part thereof, is appropriate or available for use in any particular jurisdiction. Those who choose to access the Site do so on their own initiative and at their own risk, and are responsible for complying with all local laws, rules, and regulations. We may limit the Site’s availability, in whole or in part, to any person, geographic area, or jurisdiction we choose, at any time and in our sole discretion. By using the Site and submitting any PII, you consent to the transfer of PII to other countries, such as the United States, which may provide a different level of data security than that provided in your country of residence.